Shin Megami Tensei IV has had some details about it emerge recently during the Nico Nico 2 conference at Makuhari Messe. The developer, Atlus, was there in person to answer questions regarding the development of the title from the fans in attendance.
The game hits Japan on May 23rd while North America will see it on July 16th. There was quite a bit of information, the key notes can be seen below.
- There are no direct connections between Shin Megami Tensei IV and the previous three numbered games. However, there will be remixed versions of their soundtracks.
- The world isn’t tied to that of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, but the Black Samurai character will have some sort of connection. It was hinted that there may also be a connection to the first Shin Megami Tensei, in the future.
- Total play time to clear Shin Megami Tensei IV will be over 50 hours. Some of the developers claimed that it takes 60 or even 100 hours.
- There will be paid DLC. Atlus say that it won’t make you feel as though they’re just trying to make money, and will be worthwhile content.
- Lucifer will be making an appearance in Shin Megami Tensei IV. However, Louis Cyphre won’t be showing his face for now.
- The three Jack brothers will also be making a reappearance, along with a new Jack Frost demon to the series.
- Character voices can be turned on and off.
- You can now acquire experience points through demon fusing and also by conversing with them.
- The “Macca Beam” used by the Preta enemy in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey will be back to haunt players.
- Atlus hinted at a harder difficulty mode being included.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV boasts over 100 tracks used in game. An original soundtrack is expected to be released in he near future.
- According to the map designer, he’s been asked about his reason for focusing so much in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo. He admits that his reason for that is because it’s where he’s been going out to drink lately, but he also wanted to make it clear that other parts of Tokyo will be in the game.
- One fan asked about Shin Megami Tensei lead roles always being male characters and if there’s a chance we could be seeing a female lead in the future. The possibility of a future female lead wasn’t ruled out, although different development team members seemed to have different feeling towards the idea. Some welcomed the possibility of there being a choice of gender, while others felt that Shin Megami Tensei games are better suited to male leads.
- Another interesting question was with regard to the different-colored scarves the Samurai wear and how it seems to clash with the Japanese style. According to Atlus, the various colors do symbolize something, but they didn’t reveal what exactly. The reason for including the scarves to the design is to give them a unique look, rather than it being a strictly Japanese style.
- The Moon Phase System won’t be part of Shin Megami Tensei IV.
- A comic in V-Jump magazine has been confirmed.
Source: My Nintendo News